NEW YORK (AP) — A 7-year-old New York City boy's family has filed a $250 million claim against police and the city after saying he was handcuffed and falsely accused of stealing $5 from another student after school.
His mother, Frances Mendez, tells the New York Post Wilson Reyes was "interrogated" for 10 hours on Dec. 4.
Family attorney Jack Yankowitz filed the claim. He says Wilson was handcuffed and held in a room at P.S. X114 in the Bronx for four hours, then taken to a precinct house. He allegedly was held there for six hours and charged with robbery.
The Post says the city dropped the charge Dec. 26. A spokesman declined to comment.
School officials say it occurred off school grounds. Police had no immediate comment.
Information from: New York Post, http://www.nypost.com
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Championship Edition Part 3: Player of the Week: Las Cruces running back J.J. Granados.; Spirit Stick Championship: Belen outpolls five rivals; Class 3A Title Preview: Silver Fighting Colts at Robertson Cardinals.
Championship Edition Part 4: Class 2A Title Preview: Hatch Valley Bears vs. Clayton Yellowjackets; Last Week's 2A Semi: Clayton stings Santa Rosa.
New Mexico is at the beginning of a deep freeze, and state officials are paying close attention.