LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) - An autopsy concludes that the death of a man who tried to swallow a bag of cocaine this summer at the Doña Ana County Detention Center was caused by accidental choking.
The Las Cruces Sun-News reports the autopsy conclusions are consistent with earlier findings by authorities.
Hermilo C. Salcedo died on Aug. 5 after being arrested three days earlier on drug charges.
Authorities say an officer doing a full-body search of Salcedo found a bag of cocaine that the inmate later tried to swallow.
Salcedo choked, lost consciousness and went into cardiac arrest. The bag was removed, and Salcedo was resuscitated, but the autopsy report says there were no signs of brain activity.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
When it's cold outside Albuquerque and Rio Rancho's homeless sometimes count on the kindness of strangers to keep warm.
On the Fourth Day of Thriftmas Gina Nielsen shows us how to make a framed display for your Christmas cards.
Every two seconds a new profile is added to LinkedIn. Are you one of them, and are you making some common mistakes?